Help us discover ways to rapidly reduce carbon emissions through new sustainable technologies,while also exploring how we can implement those technologies without interfering with society’s normal processes.
How do we create a modern, practical energy system, based on sustainable and carbon-neutral energy sources? At Avans, we do this through applied research, in which you will play an important role. You will explore ways to integrate all the new technologies that are currently emerging into the existing energy system. Your challenge: to develop a smart method for controlling and regulating energy supply and demand.
- Work on projects involving the integration of solar, wind, aquathermal and geothermal energy, as well as energy from heat pumps, charging infrastructure and chemical energy carriers.
- Conduct studies together with a team of representatives from companies, governments, fellow lecturer-researchers and students.
- Contribute to education at Avans by supervising students working on sub-studies linked to ongoing research projects.
The research will focus mainly on electrical engineering and technical computer science.
Your role as Smart Energy Researcher at Avans
In this role, you will be part of the Smart Energy research group, which falls under the Centre of Expertise Biobased Economy (CoE BBE), a partnership between Avans University of Applied Sciences and HZ University of Applied Sciences. In the coming years, the focus of our Centre of Expertise will be broadened from the biobased economy to the energy and materials transition. We are an international team with around 25 passionate colleagues from all over the world. That means a lot of our communication happens in English. Our team has an entrepreneurial mindset and big ambitions, as we feel the intrinsic motivation to contribute to the energy transition.
You can count on a considerable degree of freedom and variety in your work – we value your ideas and initiatives and love to inspire each other.
What we offer you
An environment where you have the freedom to discover and improve things – this is how we get the best out of you. We’ll help you to continue developing, enabling you to contribute to the ongoing professionalisation of our organisation. We also offer:
- A gross monthly salary between €3.881,09 and €5.332,48 based on a fulltime position (scale 11 in the collective labour agreement for higher professional education).
- A year-end bonus, roughly equal to a 13th month.
- You will initially be appointed for 1 year, but an extension is possible as long as your performance is good and internal personnel considerations allow.
- A healthy work-life balance and good workstations.
- A good pension scheme and collective health insurance.
You fit right in
You are passionate about the fight against climate change, which is why you are excited about contributing to the energy transition. Your enthusiasm and positive energy are infectious, and you are an inspiration to your colleagues. The opportunity to supervise students who also want to do their part for the energy transition makes this position even more appealing to you. You also like to keep developing yourself and enjoy sharing your new knowledge with others. Additionally, you have:
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Technical Computer Science or a similar field. You also have some experience in energy engineering and systems integration.
- An understanding of the technical challenges around the energy transition, especially in relation to local smart energy networks with renewable generation and storage.
- An understanding of the energy industry and its regulations. You are also interested in modern industrial systems (Industry 4.0) and enjoy looking under the bonnet of local energy grids using OpenEMS software.
Big ambitions, human scale. Committed. Personal. That’s Avans. A place where you can be yourself. With your unique ideas and insights, we’ll give you plenty of freedom. That’s part of our learning and entrepreneurial character. We offer optimum flexible education, in co-creation with the professional field. And we are always changing, and moving with the world around us. Our aim is to offer ever more personalisation, so that our students can choose part of their own learning pathways. That’s our Ambition for 2025. Read these stories to discover Avans as an employer.
Contribute to our Ambition
Do you see a rewarding role for yourself as we continue to professionalise our education? Then apply no later than October 17 by clicking ‘apply’. Let us know why you feel like this is the right challenge for you in your motivation letter. If you have any questions, please contact Njord van Erck, member of the Smart Energy research group’s knowledge network, on +31 88 5256 919 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will give you an update on your application within 2 weeks of the closing date.
We find our own candidates, so we are not interested in unsolicited services or offers.